Our Environmental Policies
TrustPower generates a significant proportion of New Zealand’s electricity, and now contributes to Australia’s electricity needs as well. As a consequence, it has a direct and significant inter-relationship with all aspects of “the environment”.
In this respect we:
• Use, and in many respects, modify natural resources to generate electricity.
• Own, maintain and enhance/expand a network of significant physical resources.
• Supply an essential service to commercial and ‘domestic’ consumers, which in turn enables those parties to
provide for their and others' social and economic well being.
As a direct reflection of its inter-relationship with the environment, TrustPower operations have the potential to induce both positive and negative environmental effects.
TrustPower’s goal is to operate in a manner that maximises all potential positive environmental effects, while minimising, or where possible and appropriate, mitigating the incidence and source of negative (or adverse) effects. To achieve this, all of TrustPower’s actions that have the potential to affect the environment are governed by the following goals and policies.
• To operate in a manner which minimises all potential adverse environmental effects; and
• Where practical, maximise all potential positive environmental effects.
TrustPower will operate so as to comply with all legal and statutory environmental obligations. In operating, maintaining and enhancing assets, TrustPower will:
• Avoid or minimise all adverse environmental effects which its operations may cause;
• Liaise and work with the community and all potentially affected stakeholders in the identification, mitigation
and/or monitoring of any potential environmental effects;
• Use and operate the natural and physical resources under its control in an efficient and environmentally
appropriate and responsible manner;
• Recycle and re-use material where practically and economically feasible; and
• Ensure that all generation staff and contractors acting on its behalf are aware of:
(i) the surrounding environment and the potential environmental effects which operations could induce,
(ii) the contingencies and procedures to be followed in the event of an adverse environmental effect being
By adopting and requiring adherence to the above goals and associated policies, TrustPower is seeking to promote both continuing environmental awareness and enhanced environmental performance.